Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Steamed Eggs and Ham...



I find that cooking is a stress reliever for me after a long day at work. So people may find cooking stressful but in my world I can cook anytime. My day job is filled with meetings, interacting with my peers and managers, and learning new things. I do enjoy my day job because it is creative in many ways. When I'm home in the evenings or during the weekends, cooking is an outlet that provides creativity in a different way. Looking back over the years, my sister and I have always enjoyed cooking. She is more of a baker and I generally enjoy creating the main entrees. I have watched my mom cooked her favorites recipes over the year and always love to sit near the kitchen when visting a restaurant to learn new techniques.

During the weeknights I tend to cook food that are quick and easy to prepare. Normally the bar is 1 hour from start to finish. At the time when I start prepping to the time when the food is serve is within the 1 hour, the bar is met.

One item that I haven't done in awhile is Chinese Steamed Eggs with Pork.  There are many variations of this recipes using favorite ingredients like dry scallops, dry shrimp, and variety of Asian mushrooms. I normally check the inventory stock in the refrigerator and make due with what I have. This evening I used ground pork, Chinese chives, and fresh shitake mushroom. It is a bet of an odd combination and not necessarily tradition but the end results was incredible.




The recipe is rather simple:
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 lb of ground pork
  • 1 tsp of salt
  • 1/4 lb of either fresh or rehydrated shitake mushrooms
  • 1 tbsp of oyster sauce
  • 1 cup of boiled water that has been cooled down
  • 1/8 cup of scallions or chives
Place the ground pork in a casserole dish and add the salt. Add 4 eggs and whisk until all the eggs are beaten and mixed with the pork



Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.



The next thing that you need to do is place it in a steamer. My wife had this vegetable steamer that is the perfect size for this corning ware that I purchased awhile ago. It is important that you steam the dish for 30-40minutes. 

The finished dish is tasty and moist!  I generally serve this with white or brown rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment