Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Spineless Turkey

I am so behind in blogging these days! I am 5 recipes behind and I need to catch up!  Set the time machine back to Thanksgiving when I decided to make my famous boneless turkey stuffed with a sticky rice meat stuffing. I have been making this recipe now for about 10 years now and it is still a favorite!

It takes awhile to make but definitely worthwhile! The trick to this turkey is brining. I ALWAYS brine all my turkey before cooking. It keeps the moisture in and it's not salty at all after it is cooked. Alton Brown also highly recommends brining the bird before cooking. Usually I'll brine it overnight in a mixture of kosher salt, brown sugar, and aromatics like onions and garlic. I will also add bay leaves and whole peppercorn to the brine. Usually I'll brine the turkey first before removing the bone.

Removing the bone from the turkey is not easy. It takes awhile to get it just right. The trick is to remove the rib cavity and the thigh bone while keeping the breast skin intact so you stitch it up with the stuffing while keeping its shape. Remember to keep the bones to make a stock!



Stuffing is one of my favorites! I normally cook 3 cups of sweet rice and 1 cup of long grain rice. I generaly mix the two types of rice to prevent it from being too sticky. I'll usually add rehydrated shitake mushrooms, chinese sausages, green onion, and dried shrimp. Mix all together and add dark and light soy sauce to taste with a dash of seasame oil. I usually cook it in a wok and then add the cooked rice into it. 

After completing the stuffing, stuff it in the bird. Most of the stuffing will fit in a 12-14lb bird. You can use bamboo skewers with kitchen twine to tie up the turkey!


Roast it in the oven at 350 degrees until the temperature in the thigh meat reaches 160 degrees. Carving the turkey is easy since there are no bones to worry about!



Enjoy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment